Cooking Terms
Substitutions
International Links
Message Board

Convert

to

=

NetCooks.com

Keep on cooking and we will keep the recipes coming!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking Kidneys, need any and all information
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:40 pm 

Howdy guys, hope you can help me, I know this is gonna sound strange, but it's our idea.

My youth group is having a "Gross food" contest at our annual youth retreat this weekend, and I'm one of several who is in charge of gathering gross foods.

While searching the aisles of Wal-Mart, I came across a package of "kidneys" in the meat aisle, next to the sweetbreads and fatback. I decided it would be a great finale for the gross food contest to have kidneys, kinda like Fear Factor almost.

I know that Kidneys right out of the package are raw and therefore, unable to be eaten like that. So my question is this:

How do I cook it?

What's the preparation involve, desired cooking temperature, and length of cooking time.

We are not necessairly concerned with taste, just so long as it's safe for them to eat it. And we'd like it to be tender too.

I am unable to tell you what kind of kidney it is, but assuming that it was stuck in with all kinds of Fatback and Sweetbread and Veal stuff, I'm assuming that it's either Beef or Veal. They were in a white packaging, and the color looked dark brown.

Also, if you should answer, assume that I know absolutely nothing about cooking. Cause I don't know Jack about cooking :)

Anymore info that is needed, please email me or respond to this post, a quick answer is greatly appreciated too as I need it by Friday night.

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:16 pm 
Ok - so I looked up steak and kidney pie recipes on line...

to prepare the kidney

remove the membranes, recipes, and tubes, soak in salted water for at least 15 minutes (I got everything from 15 minutes to over night - so guess a couple of hours should be ok)

you can either slice it or cut it into cubes

saute with onions....

or mix a little flour, salt and seasonings and toss with kidney chunks and saute or fry

for the gross out factor I suppose you wouldn't want to get too fancy - although no matter how it is presented, for some people just knowing what it is would put them off.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:10 pm 

Hey, thanks for the tips. We ended up just straight broiling them after we of course removed all the stuff. They were uglier than sin and smelled awful, which is what we wanted to do. All the kids went nuts over it and thought it was the worst food in the world.

Success :)

Also, no kids got sick :)

Thanks for your help.